You’re Not Alone ~ Numbers Do Mean Something

The only clear and concise data available concerning the number of individuals within the U.S. who have been sexually abused is … there is no clear and concise data. The numbers vary between which ever agency is doing the reporting. Research conducted by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and published by the U.S. Department of Justice indicates 1 out of every 4 girls (25%) experience some form of sexual assault before the age of 18 and 1 out of every 6 boys (17%). With that said, all reporting agencies do state that only 30% of assaults are actually reported. That leaves 70% undisclosed. So what does this look like exactly?

It appears staggering. Let’s break it down. If you’re sitting at a table of 4 girls, that means at least one within in that group has or is experiencing sexual abuse. Guys? … at least one out of every 6 has either been assaulted or is currently experiencing assault.


If we extend these numbers out into the general populous then we can seemingly estimate that 21% of the U.S. population suffers from some form of emotional/mental trauma stemming from sexual abuse. There are some experts who claim the numbers are even higher.


Estimated Total of U.S. Population 2013 316,128,8391

Approximately 15.5M boys and girls will have experienced at least one episode of sexual abuse before their 18th birthday. For adults who are 18 + years of age there’s another 51M  who have experienced at least one episode of sexual abuse in their lifetime – these numbers are based on reported cases only.  At any one time,  approximately 21% of our population suffers from PTSD resulting from childhood sexual abuse.

Please note, these averages have actually improved since early 2000 when the ratio was 1 out of 3 Females and 1 out of 5 Males experienced some form of sexual abuse prior to the age of 18 years.

Lets Be Frank

Long-Term Health Consequence
Traumatic experiences in childhood have been linked to increased medical conditions throughout the individuals’ lives. The Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study is a longitudinal study that explores the long-lasting impact of childhood trauma into adulthood.

Economic Impact
The cumulative economic and social burden of complex trauma in childhood is extremely high.  Based upon data from a variety of sources, a conservative annual cost of child abuse and neglect is an estimated $103.8 billion, or $284.3 million per day (in 2007 values)2.

In 2013, the U.S Bureau of Census’ Projected Population for Los Angeles County is just over 10 Million3.

The economic impact of child sexual abuse in Los Angeles County will run approximately:4

Immediate Economic Impact

Long Term Economic Impact


1. US Census Bureau
2. National Child Traumatic Stress Network
3. US Census Bureau – Los Angeles County
4. Darkness to Light